Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars Movie Review

                           
By Lil Leia 
                         
              "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
Hi guys! In this post I will be reviewing "The Fault in Our Stars", a movie you may have heard of, based on the novel by John Green. I will first proceed to explain the quote above. The quote is from the play "Julius Caesar" by William Shakespeare, and it's the source for the title of both the book and the movie. As you can probably see, EVERYBODY (including me, had to admit it at some point) is going absolutely crazy for the movie and has prompted everyone who hasn't read the book to read it before they see the movie. The movie stars Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort (which play brother and sister in Divergent, weird right?), Nat Wolff, Willem Dafoe, Laura Dern, among others, with Josh Boone directing. You probably know the basic plot, which is about two teens (Hazel and Augustus), Hazel with cancer and Augustus in remission, and that fall in love in a cancer support group. You're probably imagining a boring, unfunny cancer story, but it's not. Actually, it's a funny, romantic love story that almost doesn't talk about cancer until certain points of the movie. So, on to the review part. I'll *try* to make it as spoiler-free as possible, but I don't make any guarantees, so here we go:

Having read the book a LOT of times, I expected the movie to live up to the standards of the book (obviously, who doesn't?!?), and it DEFINITELY did. Have Kleenex (preferably a whole box, 'cause you'll need them all) ready, because the movie is VERY EMOTIONAL, especially nearing the end of the movie. If you don't like emotional movies, this is certainly not the movie for you. You're going to cry, and by cry I mean UGLY CRY, but you can burst into tears at any moment randomly for many reasons, especially because you see the love between the characters progressing through the movie. Shailene (Hazel) and Ansel’s (Augustus) acting is spot on! They perfectly capture the emotion and the love between Hazel and Augustus, and couldn't imagine anyone OTHER than Shailene and Ansel in their respective roles. Overall, all acting was well done, and there were no plot holes. I like movies based on books to be very true to the book, but some movies either don't achieve it or do it very badly, but The Fault in Our Stars does it almost perfectly. It captures the true spirit of the book beautifully, which is that you have to learn to embrace whatever time you have, with all its pain and wonder, because... "Some infinities are bigger than other infinities" - John Green, The Fault in Our Stars.

The movie was awesome! It really lived up to my expectations, and boy did I cry! I wasted an insane amount of tissues (don't judge, I'm a pre-teen who's hormonal) :P I loved the book, and now I love the movie just as much... I think I'm gonna go see it again. See ya next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment