By. Lil Leia
Hi guys! It's all about Studio Ghibli this time! Studio Ghibli is a film studio based in Tokyo that’s recognized for its amazing animated films. After the success of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Hayao Miyazaki, Toshio Suzuki, Isao Takahata, and Yasuyoshi Tokuma founded the studio in 1985. Studio Ghibli has since made 19 movies, the most successful of them being Spirited Away, which grossed more than $274 million worldwide and won Studio Ghibli's first and only Oscar for Best Animated Feature. Here are five facts you didn't know about Studio Ghibli:
1. Studio Ghibli enacted a no-cuts/editing policy when distributing their films internationally, introduced after producers heavily edited Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind for its U.S. release. When U.S. producers were considering editing Princess Mononoke, a Studio Ghibli producer sent them an authentic katana with a note that said, “No cuts".
2. In 2001, the studio opened the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo, dedicated to exhibits based on their films, as well as a theater within the museum that showcases short films made by Studio Ghibli exclusively for the museum..
3. At his retirement press conference, Miyazaki announced that his son, Gorō, would take his place and continue his works.
4. One of its most recent movies, and Miyazaki's last film, The Wind Rises, was based on the true story of Jiro Horikoshi, a plane designer who designed two of Japan's most successful planes during World War 2.
5. In My Neighbor Totoro, one of its most famous films and one of my favorites, (spoiler ahead!) Satsuki and Mei's mother suffered from tuberculosis, but managed to recover in the end. The story is loosely based on Miyazaki's life, who once said that had the movie starred two boys instead of two girls, it would've been too painful to make.
So, what do you think? Surprised? Here's a list of all the movies Studio Ghibli has made and their year of release in Japan. Either Hayao Miyazaki or Isao Takahata has directed most of these films:
1. Castle in the Sky - 1986
2. Grave of the Fireflies - 1988
3. My Neighbor Totoro - 1988
4. Kiki's Delivery Service - 1989
5. Only Yesterday - 1991
6. Porco Rosso - 1992
7. Pom Poko - 1994
8. Whisper of the Heart - 1995
9. Princess Mononoke - 1997
10. My Neighbors the Yamadas - 1999
11. Spirited Away - 2001
12. The Cat Returns - 2002
13. Howl's Moving Castle - 2004
14. Tales from Earthsea - 2006
15. Ponyo - 2008
16. The Secret World of Arietty - 2010
17. From Up on Poppy Hill - 2011
18. The Wind Rises - 2013
19. The Tale of Princess Kaguya - 2013
In my opinion, Studio Ghibli will forever rule anime movies. Some of their films speak to me a little, making me feel happy, or sad, or maybe both at the same time. Ghibli is awesome!